Avoid a House Fire This Holiday Season | SERVPRO® of Southern Washington County
Believe it or not, the holiday season is here again already! It is time to start planning out your family traditions, pulling out your cookie cutters and surrounding yourself with twinkly lights.
While this time of year may be one of your favorites, it is also the time that you need to be extra cautious to avoid a house fire.
Decorating your home can be a great way to celebrate the season! It also just so happens that many holiday decorations are flammable. In fact, about 790 structural fires happen every year due to decorations catching fire.
If you love to hang stockings over the fireplace or mantel, don’t hang them too low or in the path of any fire or heat source. Even just a single spark could send your precious memories up in flames.
If real trees are a must in your family, the tree you choose needs to be freshly cut! It is also important to inspect it to ensure there aren’t too many dead needles falling off of it, which could indicate that it is dehydrated. Once it is all decorated, only keep it plugged in when you are home and awake.
Candles are a cozy way to celebrate the season with some ambiance and delicious smells. But they are also a fire hazard!
During this time of year, candles are responsible for 20 new home fires every day in the United States. If you do light candles, it is important that you only keep them lit when you are near them and never leave them within the reach of children or pets.
Decorating the exterior of your home with lights can make your home seem so welcoming. Just be sure that the lights you choose to hang are rated for outdoor use, and never pierce the wiring with staples or nails in order to hang them up.
You deserve to relax and enjoy all that there is to do in the area this holiday season! Make sure you check out the light display at the Ingleside Hotel. With over 30,000 lights inside the trail and other fun seasonal activities, it is one of the best ways to celebrate.
Our staff at SERVPRO of Southern Washington County is always here and ready to jump into action for you. Our goal is to restore your home as quickly as we can so you can go back to enjoying the holiday season.
Have smoke or fire damage in your house? Contact us today to get cleaned up fast.