Avoid House Fires While Heating Your Home | SERVPRO® of Southern Washington County
There is no doubt about it! Winter is here.
Now that our furnaces have been working for a while and our fireplaces are becoming a staple in the evenings, it is important to be responsible with any source of heat in your home to prevent house fires. If you haven’t already done so, now is the perfect time to address any issues with your furnace or other methods of heat. Since we have already experienced a variety of winter storm watches and warnings this season, having a reliable source of heat is crucial.
If you ignore any issues or don’t maintain your equipment, you could be vulnerable to a house fire! No one wants to deal with that in the dead of winter, so check out our tips below and make these adjustments in your home.
Most homes in the Midwest are equipped with a furnace and HVAC system that moves heat throughout the house. This major appliance needs to be maintained regularly.
It is important that you inspect your furnace seasonally to detect any issues or potential malfunctions, and you should give it a good cleaning to avoid excess dust or debris buildup.
You should also make it a priority to replace the air filter in your HVAC system at this time. Most homes can benefit from a new air filter every 90 days, and even more often if you have a large family or pets. Try to get into the habit of changing the filter at the beginning of every new season.
If you haven’t changed your air filter in a while, you may be shocked at how dirty it is! Your air filter works hard every day to keep dust, debris and allergens out of the air you breathe.
Both wood-burning and artificial fireplaces are a staple for many Wisconsin homeowners. They can provide an efficient way to heat your home while creating a cozy home environment.
However, fireplaces are a common cause of house fires! They need to be cleaned and maintained often to prevent a fire from occurring.
If your fireplace is wood-burning, clear out excess ash and regularly inspect your chimney to make sure it is free of blockages. It is also important to wipe off any soot and smoke stains on the bricks. If your fireplace is artificial, you need to get behind the glass and provide the logs and surrounding space a good cleaning to remove dust buildup.
Space heaters are a great way to heat your home or small space quickly. However, they can heat up really quickly and can be fire hazards as well.
If you utilize a space heater in your home, make sure it is three feet away from any flammable materials in your home and always unplug it before going to bed. It is also important to note that space heaters need to be on a level surface when in use and should never be plugged into an extension cord.
Lastly, if you have small children or pets in your home, discuss the dangers of fire and always be present in the room with them if there is a fire or heat source in use.
If you experience fire damage this season, give us a call at SERVPRO of Southern Washington County for immediate assistance. We’re here 24⁄7 when you need us!